Monday, April 25, 2011

1 to 1 Elementary Computing: 1 to 1 Computing at the elementary school level

1 to 1 Elementary Computing: 1 to 1 Computing at the elementary school level: Much has been written about the benefits and drawbacks of 1 to 1 mobile computing initiatives over the past decade.  As I looked at the existing research on these initiatives as part of my graduate course in instructional technology, however, I found myself wanting to know more about the positives and drawbacks to programs like this at the elementary school level.  Numerous studies support middle and high school initiatives, but relatively few seem to exist demonstrating clear support for this type of program in the elementary schools.  I have used this site to provide links to some of the more promising studies and programs that exist at the elementary level, but I am convinced that more evidence needs to be gathered to determine the extent to which elementary schools should "jump in" to 1 to 1 computing.  Below is an excerpt from a paper I wrote for this course.  Portions of this are included on our main page that talks about 1 to 1 computing more comprehensively.:


Despite what appears to be a strong correlation between student achievement, future ready skills, and the use of technology,  the majority of the studies found tend to point to these gains in the middle school and high school levels only (Kulik, 2003). Because drill and practice activities and taking comprehension quizzes on the computer are not fundamentally different from simply taking a paper/pencil test, taking an oral exam, or preparing a book report, there is not much of a change instructionally.  These are often the methods that are being used in the elementary classrooms, rather than more interactive, research-type activities.  Similar activities have been taking place in classrooms for ages, just not with the aid of technology.  I would guess that this lack of “change in delivery” of instruction is one more reason that elementary implementation of technology has not shown the results seen at older age levels. <<<Click here to read more>>>

Written by Keith Madill

No comments:

Post a Comment